Friday, July 1, 2011

A pinch and a punch for the first day of the month!

"I didn't want to write a book. They made me do it."- Grace Slick

Happy July! Also, Happy Canada Day! This will be my last post for the summer, at least until August possibly. I will definitely write one when school starts again, which for me just so happens to be August. I'm going to camp in eight days so this should hold you for a while. This post will be about one author, and one series of books called Heist Society. They are really good books and I just heard that Drew Barrymore will be directing a movie version of the first one, yay!

So the first one is actually called Heist Society, by Ally Carter. It's about a 15 year old girl named Katarina Bishop. She is part of a family of art thieves. She left the lifestyle to go to a boarding school, and her family never forgave her for it. She gets kicked out of the school (though she doesn't know why) and is forced to go back home, wherever that is. Soon after, Kat learns that her father is in grave danger and she needs to steal five paintings in order to help him. With the help of the GORGEOUS W.W. (Wadsworth Worthington?) Hale the Fifth and her beautiful cousin Gabrielle, she discovers enough secrets and tells enough lies to get her arrested for life. I finished it in 2 days. I would give it a 4/5. It's really melodramatic at times, but I could totally picture what was going on in my head.

The second one is the sequel called Uncommon Criminals. It has the same characters, just a different plot. This time they need to steal the Cleopatra Emerald for a Mrs. Constance Miller who claims that the emerald really belongs to her. But should her sob story be believed? I don't want to give away too much. Again, this one came out on June 21st or 22nd and I finished it in 2 days. I love all the characters in these books because they are so believable. Hale is just like a laconic 16 year old boy, Gabrielle is just like a pretty girl who knows she's pretty, and Kat is exactly how you would expect a 15 going on 30 art thief to be. It's kind of awesome. There is a lot of action and you get a little bit of history thrown in. Also all the names of possible methods are really clever. This book made me want to learn the art of pickpocketing, just saying.I give this one a 4/5 as well.

Well, that's pretty much it! I currently have 13 books on my reading list, so expect some book knowledge soon! I'm off to camp, and I hope everyone has a fantastic summer!

Keep reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment